Pre-School/School Based Support
Following acceptance of a referral, a Service Agreement is developed with the client site outlining:
- a description of the nature of the support requested
- desired outcomes of the support
- obligations of the service provider
- obligations of the preschool or school
- details of how and when the delivery of the support will be monitored and reviewed
Kilparrin Statewide Support teachers can provide assessment of functional vision and/or functional hearing in the educational setting.
Assessments may include:
- Functional Vision Assessment
- Functional Hearing Assessment
- Cortical Vision Impairment (CVI) Range
- Learning Media Assessment
Informal and formal observations and assessments are used to provide information to the supported site as to the functional implications of the vision impairment and/or Deaf or Hard of Hearing.
Kilparrin Advisory Teachers can provide:
- information regarding curriculum accomodations to support students with sensory impairment
- strategies to support teaching students with sensory impairment
- advice regarding resources to support student access to the program
- advice regarding assistive technologies that may support students to access the curriculum
Orientation and Mobility (O&M)
Students who are supported by Kilparrin Statewide Support Service are eligible to receive O&M instruction through Guide Dogs SA/NT. If required, this is available through The Department for Education MAC:SWD* funding, for IESP* funded students. A referral is made through Kilparrin Advisory Teachers who work collaboratively with instructors to achieve positive learning outcomes for students.
O&M is a key facet of the Expanded Core Curriculum for Students with Vision Impairment. O&M focuses upon the development of independent movement skills and is part of the child’s program every day as they move around the home, school campus or the classroom.
*Ministry Advisory Committee: Students with Disabilities
*Inclusive Education Support Program